What is Veritas?
Veritas Academy of Tucson is a Christian, classical school that adheres to a university-type schedule.
It began like so many things do – with a few people and a vision. In 2008, several families had been struggling with the schooling options available to them. They wanted their children to have an academically rigorous, Christ-centered education and – believing it was their God-given responsibility to disciple their children in Christ – desired to be significantly involved in administering that education. The result of their efforts was the formation of Veritas Academy of Tucson, which was officially accredited by Christian Schools International in 2021.
As a Christian school, Veritas Academy aims to help parents raise up life-long learners in the training and admonition of the Lord by:
- Helping to preserve and strengthen the God-ordained family relationship through the University-Model of schooling®.
- Teaching children to think critically and creatively via the classical education model.
Our philosophy of education is two pronged. The University Model is our structure of education. The Classical Method is our approach to education.
University-Model Schooling® (UMS) was developed as a result of two guiding concerns: to offer students the opportunity to acquire a high degree of academic achievement and to preserve and strengthen the God-ordained family relationships in which the Christian faith is most effectively fostered. The structure in which these two concerns are brought together, University-Model Schooling®, provides an academically challenging education while integrating the home and school in the common goal of discipling children.
Classical education is a return to “the point at which education began to lose sight of its true object” (Douglas Wilson, Repairing the Ruins); equipping young people with the tools to learn and think. It is firmly rooted in the traditions of Western culture, and draws upon educational methods which were employed at a time when Christ and Christianity were the center and foundation of all learning.
- We believe the Bible (solely in Old and New Testiments) to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative, inerrant Word of God (2 Timothy 3:15; 2 Peter 1:21).
- We believe there is only one God, eternally existent in three persons–Father, Son and Holy Spirit (Genesis 1:1; Matthew 28:19; John 10:30).
- We believe that God wonderfully and immutably creates each person as male or female, and that these two distinct, complementary genders together reflect the image and nature of God. (Genesis 1:26-27)